- Before the wedding show, research which vendors will be exhibiting at the show www.topweddingshows.com as well as a layout/map of where the vendors will be located. This will help you make the most of your time & organize the best questions to ask those specific vendors you are most interested in.
- Make a Personal Email Address specifically for planning your wedding. Many of the wedding professionals you are working with will be contacting you via email with dates, details, quotes etc. We recommend that you do not give out your work or school email. Use services such as gmail, live, or hotmail so that you can access your account anywhere. It will make for a much more organized and stress-free planning period if you separate your wedding planning information from your personal and professional information.
- If you’ve already selected your wedding colors / bridesmaids’ dresses, ask your retailer for swatches from the material and bring them with you to the wedding show. Many wedding vendors, (bakers, florists, wedding cake, invitations…) will use your colors to make appropriate suggestions for your wedding.
- Bring a notebook and a pen. A wedding show can be a great resource for information. Some savvy brides even bring a camera or use a camera phone to take a pictures of ideas and samples they like. This can especially be handy during the fashion show!
- Wear comfortable shoes and if at all possible, leave your coat in the car. Then you can have your hands free as you stroll the aisles.
- If you are going to be out of town during the day of the wedding show, send mom or a trusted friend / bridesmaid to collect information on services you need and register you for prizes.
- Print neatly – When you register at the door or for prize drawings at the booths, make sure all your information is legible & complete. You just may walk away from the show with a very useful prize or gift for your wedding day .
- When comparing wedding services at a wedding show, be careful to compare “Apples to Apples” and not to Oranges. “The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
- Interact with all the Wedding Professionals: Don’t just pick up material from their booths! Actually talk with the people manning the booths. They often have great ideas and further insight into how to make the most out of a wedding day experience.
- While you are at the show, there is another great resources to take advantage of… think of how many other brides-to-be will be there. Who knows, you might just make friends with another couple going through the same things you are and you can share ideas! Hundreds of brides get married every weekend during the summer in the Hamilton Halton and Niagara Regions.
- As much as you are able, try to decide on your budget before attending the wedding show. Many vendors will offer great discounts for reserving their services / products at show. So if you are aware of how much you have to spend in a certain category, it may help you in deciding which company is the right fit for you.
- Be sure to request references. You want to make sure that the people you hire for your special day have made other peoples weddings a happy, successful and memorable occasion… and who better to ask then other couples!
- Have a list of questions ready to ask wedding vendors. Don’t be shy…taste cake, smell flowers, load up on brochures, enter contests and leave your name with everyone. Be a bride in the know!
- Wedding vendors will often have draws for prizes at their booths. Instead of having to fill out multiple forms with contact information, some have found it helpful to make address labels in advance. Be sure to include: Bride’s name, Groom’s name, address, phone, email and your wedding date.
- Be sure and wear your “I’m the Bride” and “I’m the Groom” stickers that are handed out at the entrance to the show. Wedding vendors are more likely to give you that little bit of extra fun attention. Plus, if you are spotted wearing them, you could win great door prizes!
- The daily catwalk fashion shows are a great opportunity to see what’s hot this season. Watch how dresses move, fit and flow down the aisle. There are also tuxedos, bridesmaids’ gowns, mother-of-the-bride dresses, flower girl outfits to see!
- Be sure and bring along your friends, family, maid of honor, mom and of course your fiancée! You will need the trusted opinions of those who share your vision of your wedding day. And ask for help, assign some one to collect business cards, take pictures or scout for comparable companies.
- In addition to reserving the day in your schedule for attending the wedding show, also reserve a couple hours after to go to a coffee shop with your entourage and review all the brochures & materials you received. That way, while it’s fresh in your mind, you can recall who to follow up with.
- Have Fun! Getting married is an experience like no other, especially with all the amazing options available to brides and grooms today. So make the most of it and enjoy the fun and excitement that surrounds the planning process!